An alarming streak of anti-Semitic hate crimes in the city will not be tolerated, Mayor de Blasio said Sunday, promising a stronger police presence in Jewish communities.
Three men attacked two Jewish teenagers in Brooklyn on Saturday night, punching them, menacing them with a baseball bat and yelling anti-Semitic slurs, according to NYPD. They put one of the teens in a chokehold.
Prior to that, the trio drove to a Borough Park synagogue, where they yelled slurs at several Jewish men, banged on the synagogue’s door and smashed a car mirror before taking off. They were still being sought Sunday.
“Anti-Semitic attacks will not be tolerated here in New York City,” the mayor said in a meeting with Jewish leaders at Brooklyn’s 66th Precinct stationhouse. “We will stomp out anti-Semitism anywhere we find it.”
The hateful incidents followed tense confrontations between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian demonstrators last Thursday in Times Square, where a pro-Israel protester suffered a brutal beating.
Hate crimes were up 71% as of May 16, compared with the same time period last year, according to the NYPD. Anti-Semitic incidents were up 5%.
“The NYPD will be out in force in Jewish communities to protect the people of these communities,” de Blasio said.
Members of the NYPD’s strategic response group — which is deployed for everything from terrorist threats to violent crimes — were headed to Jewish communities, said Chief of Department Rodney Harrison.
Mobile field forces will drive around those neighborhoods using turret lights, he added.
The NYPD declined to specify the number of extra cops heading to Jewish neighborhoods, citing “security reasons.”
“Anti-Semitism has to be stopped immediately,” Borough Park Rabbi Bernard Freilich said alongside de Blasio. “It’s just out of control.”
Source: NY Daily News
anti-Semitic crimes anti-Semitic crimes “Anti-Semitism has to be stopped immediately,” Borough Park Rabbi Bernard Freilich said alongside de Blasio. “It’s just out of control.”
Local officials and Jewish leaders in Los Angeles on Thursday condemned an attack against Jewish diners outside a sushi restaurant this week that the Los Angeles Police Department has said it was investigating as an anti-Semitic hate crime.
“We have to recognize this for what it is: It’s anti-Jewish and anti-Semitic,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said in an interview. “You have to be specific and say what it is.”
Mr. Garcetti said he was confident about the city’s investigation into the attack, and hoped to announce progress within the next several days.
In a video capturing part of the episode, multiple cars proceed slowly down the busy street in front of the restaurant, which is near several synagogues and Jewish schools. A man with a megaphone shouts slogans like “Israel kills children” from one of the cars, before multiple men leave their vehicles to confront diners on the sidewalk outside the restaurant. A fight breaks out, and one man swings a heavy stanchion at the attackers. At least one person was injured.
The attack came amid escalating violence in Israel and Gaza that has sparked protests in the United States.
The attack on Tuesday began with a “large caravan” of people waving Palestinian flags as they drove through several neighborhoods in West Los Angeles, according to Vito Palazzolo, deputy chief of the Police Department’s Operation West Bureau, who spoke on Thursday on a call hosted by the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles.
A witness told a local television station that members of the caravan who approached the restaurant began throwing bottles at diners outside and using anti-Semitic slurs.
“It was a hate crime,” the witness told CBSLA. “It was prepared, they came to fight with Jewish people.” Another witness told the station that dozens of men ran from the caravan toward the restaurant asking, “Who’s Jewish?”
Read the complete article at: The New York Times
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Wednesday the government would support Britain’s Jewish community in any way it could after a spike in anti-Semitic incidents, including an attack on a rabbi, following the outbreak of hostilities in Gaza.
The Community Security Trust (CST), which advises Britain’s estimated 280,000 Jews on security matters, said it had recorded 106 anti-Semitic incidents since May 8 compared to 19 in the 11 previous days, a fivefold increase.
Responding to a question in parliament from Keir Starmer, leader of the opposition Labour Party, Johnson said: “I share his horror at the outbreak of anti-Semitic incidents and the government has conveyed that message loud and clear to those who are responsible for enforcing the law against hate crime.”
“As a country and as a society … we call this out at every stage. We will not let it take root, we will not allow it to grow and fester.”
In one high-profile incident, a video posted on social media on Sunday showed a convoy of cars bearing Palestinian flags driving through a Jewish community in north London and broadcasting anti-Semitic messages from a megaphone.
Detectives have since arrested four men on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences and they were later released on police bail pending further investigation.
Police have also arrested two men for a religiously-aggravated assault on a rabbi in Chigwell, to the north of London. He needed hospital treatment for concussion after receiving a number of blows to the head.
The CST said there had been several incidents of individuals shouting “Free Palestine” at random Jewish people, daubing graffiti next door to a synagogue and emailing abuse to Jewish community leaders.
In another case, a man stopped Jewish schoolchildren in London and threatened to punch them if they did not say they supported Palestine.
Read the complete article at: Euronews
Turkey accused the U.S. of attempting to divert international attention from the Israeli military campaign against Gaza Strip militants by condemning the Turkish president’s criticism of the onslaught as anti-Semitic.
“Enabling an apartheid regime in its repression of innocent people in occupied territories and then turning around and blaming others who call it out is the height of hypocrisy,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s communications director, Fahrettin Altun, said on Twitter. “We categorically reject any attempt to misrepresent our President Erdogan’s words.”
The State Department on Tuesday rebuked Erdogan over what it called “reprehensible” remarks he made while lashing out at the Biden administration over its support for Israel in the conflict.
“We urge President Erdogan and other Turkish leaders to refrain from incendiary remarks, which could incite further violence,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement. “We call on Turkey to join the United States in working to end the conflict. Anti-Semitic language has no place anywhere.”
He didn’t cite specific references, but Erdogan, after a cabinet meeting Monday, denounced Israel and its allies over the violence that erupted last week. He claimed that Austria, in its support of Israel, was trying to atone for the Holocaust by “making Muslims pay a price” for it. He called Israeli military attacks in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip a “massacre.”
The ill-tempered exchange between Washington and Ankara over what Turkey sees as Israel’s excessive use of force in Gaza is the latest between two NATO allies that have quarreled repeatedly in recent years, including over the war in Syria and Turkey’s purchase of Russian military hardware.
Erdogan has previously compared Israel’s campaigns in Gaza to Nazi atrocities against Jews. On Monday, he linked the Israel-Gaza conflict to another grievance against the Americans — President Joe Biden’s recognition of the 1915 massacres, executions and deportations of Armenians as genocide.
Read the complete article at: Bloomnerg
Four men arrested after anti-Semitic abuse was allegedly heard being shouted from a car in north London have been released on bail.
Footage published on social media showed a convoy of cars covered with Palestinian flags passing down Finchley Road, with passengers reportedly being heard to use offensive language and issuing threats against Jews.
The Metropolitan Police said the incident took place in the St John’s Wood area of the city on May 16.
Officers traced the car to the A40 in Hillingdon and four men were arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences.
The Met said they were also arrested in connection with a “similar incident” that took place shortly after 1.30am on Sunday in the Broughton Park area of Salford Manchester.
All four have been released on bail “pending further inquiries”, the Met said.
The incident received cross-party criticism, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson condemning the acts as “shameful racism” that have “no place” in society.
It took place after thousands of people marched through London on Saturday to the gates of the Israeli embassy, while protests took place in other cities across the UK and Ireland in solidarity with the people of Palestine.
Thousands of Palestinians have been forced to flee their homes after a week of sustained conflict.
Since last Monday night, the Palestinian militant group Hamas has fired hundreds of rockets into Israel, whose military responded by barraging the Gaza Strip with tank fire and air strikes.
Read the complete article at: Yahoo
Four men arrested after anti-Semitic abuse was allegedly heard being shouted from a car in north London have been released on bail. Footage published on social media showed a convoy of cars covered with Palestinian flags passing down Finchley Road, with passengers reportedly being heard to use offensive language and issuing threats against Jews.
A Miami boat captain and his sister were driving on a street near Coconut Grove on Thursday afternoon when they saw a group of men using markers to scrawl on a van with swastikas and anti-Semitic slurs. Shocked, they turned around to video-record them — and at least six men began raising their arms in the Nazi salute.
“To see actual Nazis gleefully writing on their presumably rented van was just shocking,” Todd Amelung-Wilson said. “They seemed pretty proud of themselves … We were really shaken.”
The bizarre encounter happened on Southwest 27th Street near 24th Avenue in Miami about 1:30 p.m. Miami police later arrested one of the men during an unrelated traffic stop.
The man, Joseph Bounds, 33, of Denver, Colorado, was charged with misdemeanor resisting a police officer without violence and failure to obey a police officer.
According to a police arrest report, an officer had stopped the van on Biscayne Boulevard at Northeast First Street about 3:40 p.m. when Bounds stepped out and into the middle of the street to video record the encounter. A Miami police sergeant “gave him 3 lawful commands to step away from traffic” and he repeatedly refused, according the report.
The men are part of a small virulently anti-Semitic group called the Goyim Defense League, which regularly engages in stunts to harass Jewish people and have been in Florida this month. Last week, they were in Central Florida protesting at a Holocaust education center. The Anti-Defamation League has identified Bounds as part of the group.
Their arrival in South Florida has alarmed local Jewish leaders, which circulated warnings about the group this week.
“It is imperative that no matter what they say you DO NOT ENGAGE them in any way, even though it may be very tempting to do so,” one warning circulated online said. “The goal, our goal, is to simply ignore them and to avoid a confrontation of any kind. Be aware that various law enforcement enforcement agencies are engaged in gathering intelligence and making sure that everything stays peaceful.”
Read the complete article at: Miami Herald
Police in Berkeley on Tuesday announced the recent arrest of a suspect in connection with multiple hate crimes involving graffiti, burglary and vandalism aimed at people of the Jewish faith, according to authorities.
In a release issued by the Berkeley Pol9ice Department, authorities said the suspect vandalized a private residence on the 2500 block of Warring Street with graffiti referencing those of Jewish faith and also destroyed a Jewish religious artifact early on the morning of April 29 between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m.
Early that evening between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., the same suspect was seen vandalizing a Jewish synagogue on the 1300 block of Oxford Street with anti-Semitic writing. The suspect also destroyed religious artifacts and left a handmade reverse swastika.
Early the following morning on April 30 between 2:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., the same suspect was caught on surveillance video burglarizing a Jewish community center on the 2700 block of Bancroft Way. During that burglary, the suspect wrote several bizarre messages in English and Hebrew that referenced Judaism. The suspect also rearranged some items into shrines and took some items.
Berkeley police reviewed surveillance videos of the incidents and were able to develop a suspect in the case. After additional investigation, officers identified the suspect — a 39-year-old man with no fixed address — and began searching for him.
On May 3, officers spotted the suspect in Civic Center Park and arrested him on suspicion of burglary, vandalism and defacing or destroying property for the purpose of intimidating/interfering with the free exercise of any right/privilege secured to the person by the Constitution. The third charge is considered a hate crime.
Police said a hate crime is any crime against a person, group, or property motivated by the victim’s real or perceived protected social group.
“The Berkeley Police Department recognizes and places a high priority on the rights of all individuals guaranteed under state and federal law,” the release said. “The commission of a hate crime is a serious offense, which will not be tolerated in the City of Berkeley.”
Source: CBS San Francisco
The number of politically motivated crimes rose to record levels in Germany last year and include a 15% rise in anti-Semitic offenses.
The annual report by the Federal Criminal Police Office released on May 4 showed an 8.54% increase over 2019, to 44,692 crimes, German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said.
Within that total, the number of antisemitic crimes reported to police across the country rose to 2,351 from 2,032. The vast majority — 85 % — fell into the categories of incitement to hate, insults and propaganda, including Holocaust denial and glorification of Nazi ideology.
The president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Josef Schuster, called the news “absolutely alarming and evidence of Germany’s failure” to deal with the problem. According to the German media, Schuster said that anti-Jewish harassment is found “everywhere, on the street and on the internet.”
Several NGOs noted that many cases are not reported to police.
“A large darkfield study by the criminal investigation unit of the state of Lower Saxony [in the former West Germany] in 2017 showed that only 12% of hate crimes are reported overall,” Alexander Rasumny, a spokesperson for the Berlin-based Federal Association of Departments for Research and Information on Anti-Semitism, or RIAS, which monitors and analyzes anti-Semitism, told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency in a phone interview.
Rasumny said the state’s criminal investigations department is preparing a follow-up study.
Statistics on politically motivated crimes were first singled out starting in 2001.
Violent crimes with a political motivation jumped by 18.82% over the previous year. There were 11 murders in this category – nine in a right-wing extremist attack in February 2020 on a shisha bar in the city of Hanau.
Right-wing extremism remains Germany’s largest domestic security threat, Seehofer said. The report found that 23,604 crimes were linked to right-wing perpetrators, an increase of 5.6%, while crimes linked to left-wing political ideologies rose 11.4%, to 10,971.
Read the complete article at: Sun Sentinel
A task force appointed by Florida’s Commissioner of Education has called for major changes in the adoption of K-12 Holocaust Education Standards, just months after the Principal of a public high school in Boca Raton was fired for telling a parent that “not everyone believes the Holocaust happened” and anti-Semitism is on the rise in Florida.
The K-12 Florida Holocaust Standards are currently under consideration by Florida’s Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran, with a final decision expected in June.
The group of academics, teachers, and parents found that many Floridian students’ first interaction with Jews was through the prism of the Nazi’s Final Solution to the Jewish Question. Then when taught about the Shoah, it was too often bundled with other atrocities and used as a general tool to teach about the woes of intolerance.
The task force, which is led by Dr. Laurie Cardoza-Moore has called for immediate amendments to the standards stating that “bad Holocaust education will fuel the Jew-Hatred of tomorrow.” They provided a thorough analysis of the standards and advocated changes that focused on two key themes: the uniqueness of the Holocaust and the importance of acclimating students with living Jews to contextualize the Nazi atrocities.
Dr. Cardoza-Moore, President of Proclaiming Justice to The Nations, who heads the task force explained (‘Never again’ starts in school. Time to update Holocaust curriculum in Florida):
“Students’ first interaction with Jews or Jewish culture should not be in grade 6 when they first learn about the Final Solution. If students in K-5 are taught about Jewish culture, traditions, and the impact that the Jewish people have had on our shared history, they will be better served to understand the magnitude of the Shoah. In addition, by demonstrating the unique nature of the Nazi’s war against the Jews, students will be empowered to ensure that Jew-hatred is eradicated. With anti-Semitism and Holocaust Revisionism on the rise across America, we must understand that good Holocaust education will ensure that Never Again becomes reality, while bad Holocaust education will fuel the Jew-Hatred of tomorrow.”
Read the complete article at: Jewish Press