Prosecutors have filed new hate crime charges against a white man accused of burning down three African-American churches in the US state of Louisiana.
Holden Matthews, 21, the son of a local sheriff deputy, learned of the new charges during a court appearance on Monday when he pleaded not guilty.
During the hearing, the judge denied his bond request due to a “substantial amount of evidence” against him.
Officials had not previously cited race as a possible motive.
Louisiana Fire Marshal Butch Browning said on Monday the suspect – who has no previous criminal record – should not be released because he presents “an immediate risk to public safety”.
“In my mind, I felt another fire was imminent,” Mr Browning said, describing the evidence investigators have found against Mr Matthews.