Auto Racing’s NASCAR Accused of Racial Discrimination in Lawsuit
Black-owned teams and drivers say they’ve been blocked from competing.
NASCAR was hit with a $500 million lawsuit accusing the auto racing body of racial discrimination for preventing black-owned teams and drivers from competing, including in the Sprint Cup Series.
Terrance Cox and his company, Diversity Motorsports Racing, filed a lawsuit late on Friday in U.S. district court in Manhattan against NASCAR, its parent company, International Speedway Corp, and 18 teams, according to court records.
The plaintiffs are also seeking an injunction requiring the defendants to “fully integrate the African-American community.”
In a statement, NASCAR said the lawsuit has no merit.
“Diversity both on and off the track continues to be a top priority for NASCAR and its stakeholders,” the organization said. “We stand behind our actions, and will not let a publicity-seeking legal action deter us from our mission.”
The plaintiffs said they sued after NASCAR refused to let them field a team or join its Drive for Diversity program, and last year told them to cease contact.
Citing NASCAR‘s website, the plaintiffs said none of the 48 drivers in the Sprint Cup, NASCAR‘s top racing series, is black, and only one of the 18 teams has partial African-American ownership. They also said only one driver in NASCAR‘s Xfinity Series circuit is black.
“Motorsports remain the most racially segregated sport in the United States,” the complaint said. “NASCAR and ISC have been complicit in, and supportive of, the racially discriminatory environment that virtually excludes African-Americans from meaningful participation.”
The lawsuit seeks $75 million in compensatory damages and $425 million in punitive damages.
Katie Couric Faces $12 Million Defamation Lawsuit For ‘Misleading’ Edits In Gun Control Film
Virginians Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has filed a $12 million defamation lawsuit against Katie Couric and director Stephanie Soechtig for their role in the “misleading” edits that made VCDL members appear stumped by Couric’s gun control questions in her documentary Under the Gun.
Breitbart News previously reported that an eight-second pause was inserted in the film between the end of Couric’s question about gun control and the responses offered by VCDL members. The pause made the VCDL members look like Couric had baffled them with her gun control insight. In truth, the VCDL members had answered Couric immediately.
Raw audio obtained by the Washington Free Beacon proved the immediacy of the VCDL’s answers, but once the edits were made, the film portrayed the members as speechless:
Couric later apologized for the “misleading” edits.
CBS 6 now reports that the VCDL has filed a defamation suit. VCDL president Philip Van Cleave said:
“We were horrified to see how Couric and her team manipulated us and the video footage to make us look like fools who didn’t stand up for the Second Amendment. We want to set the record straight and hold them accountable for what they’ve done. You shouldn’t intentionally misrepresent someone’s views just because you disagree with them.”
Austin Children’s Dentistry suing forensic dentist for defamation
AUSTIN (KXAN) – After the death of a 14-month-old girl following a visit to an Austin Children’s Dentistry location earlier this year, the company is now suing the author of a critical report and stating that new reviews show the girl’s treatment was “dentally necessary.”
The autopsy report, released by the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office in July, ruled that anesthesia caused the death of Daisy Lynn Torres. There was an anesthesiologist on-site during Daisy Lynn’s appointment, according to a 911 recording and a spokesperson from Austin Children’s Dentistry. However, what as at issue in the lawsuit is a portion of the autopsy including a report from a forensic dental examiner, Dr. Robert Williams. The report questioned why 14-month-old Daisy Lynn Torres was having a dental procedure before she died. The report prompted Austin Children’s Dentistry to suspend the child’s dentist.
Now, the dental office is questioning the forensic report and accusing the forensic dentist of libel, defamation, and business disparagement in lawsuit filed this week in Travis County District Court.
The lawsuit also provides a look into the actions of Austin Children’s Dentistry after the release of the report. The lawsuit states that the dental office launched an internal review finding that the treatment for Daisy Lynn Torres was “dentally necessary, was appropriate and was provided in response to the initiating concerns that were appropriately raised by the minor patients parents.” It also states that dental records and x-rays should never have lead to the statements in Dr. Williams’ report.
“ln addition to internal reviews, ACD sponsored independent expert reviews by national experts to review the patient records and radiographs taken of [dentist Dr. Michael Melanson’s] treatment of the patient and to assess the concerns expressed in Dr. Williams’ odontology report,” the lawsuit states. “The expert reviews concluded that the clear dental necessity for Dr. Melanson’s treatment was obvious and supported in the record entries and radiographs that were not even noted or referred to by Dr. Williams in the short and brief conclusions contained in his report.”
Former Manatee High football coach Joe Kinnan sues school board, former officials
BRADENTON – Former Manatee High football coach Joe Kinnan has filed a lawsuit against the Manatee County School Board and former officials, claiming libel and slander.
“The School District is aware that an action was filed, but the School District has not yet been served,” school district general counsel Mitchell Teitelbaum said in a statement. “The legal pleadings will be analyzed for further action to be taken on behalf and in defense of the school district.”
The lawsuit, which was filed Tuesday in Manatee, names former superintendent Rick Mills and former school district investigator Troy Pumphrey as defendants in the suit, as well as the school district. Kinnan’s wife, Linda Kinnan, is also listed as a plaintiff.
In July 2014, Kinnan announced that he was taking medical leave of absence but then retired in August 2014.
His final season with the team was in 2013. He retired from the school district in August 2014 after claiming district officials were retaliating against him and in 2015, Kinnan became an assistant football coach job at the University of South Florida.
Reached Wednesday, Kinnan declined to comment, saying he was referring all media requests to his lawyers. Kinnan is being represented by the Romano Law Group, out of Lake Worth. The law firm also represented former Manatee High School principal Bob Gagnon in his lawsuit against the district.
John Romano, the lawyer, did not immediately return a request for comment.
Amber Heard Drops Defamation Suit Against Johnny Depp’s Friend Doug Stanhope
Amber Heard has dropped her lawsuit against Johnny Depp’s friend Doug Stanhope.
Heard filed a defamation lawsuit against the comedian in June after he accused her of blackmailing Depp and lying about the actor’s alleged domestic abuse in an article posted to his website, and later published by TheWrap.com.
Now, just three weeks after Heard and Depp reached a settlement in their divorce, PEOPLE confirms that the actress has dropped the defamation suit against Stanhope.
Stanhope’s attorney, David S. Gringas, tells PEOPLE that Heard and his client did not reach any agreement to settle the case. Furthermore, Gringas says that no money was exchanged between Heard and Stanhope, and that there is no confidential agreement between them. Gringas adds that he has not been in contact with Stanhope since the lawsuit was dropped, and says that given the comedian’s busy schedule, “I’d be surprised if he even knows anything about the conclusion of the case.”
According to the attorney, the dismissal “was negotiated as part of a larger deal between Ms. Heard and her ex-husband, Johnny Depp. Doug Stanhope is one of Johnny Depp’s closest friends, and it appears that Johnny was able to convince Amber to drop the lawsuit against Doug as part of a global resolution of their divorce.”
Gringas also notes that the case was dismissed without prejudice, meaning that Heard could re-file the lawsuit within one year of the date that Stanhope’s article was first published. “As far as we know, Ms. Heard has no plans to re-file the case against Mr. Stanhope, but that option remains available to her,” he explains.
In her initial court filing, Heard claimed that Stanhope “orchestrated a plot to write an article, which was published at TheWrap.com, which falsely accuses plaintiff Amber Heard of ‘blackmail’ and other criminal behavior towards her husband, Johnny Depp, from whom she is seeking a divorce.”
Worker files lawsuit after he says Lebanon company fired him because he’s gay
A worker who claims he was fired because he’s gay has filed a discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.
The attorney for the former worker of Abacus Corporation in Lebanon filed the lawsuit near the close of the business day on Friday, hours before the Labor Day weekend.
James Thompson, who is gay, said he was just doing his job when he fired another worker for making discriminatory comments and then walking off the job.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued a right to sue letter to Thompson Aug. 31, and on Friday his attorney filed that discrimination lawsuit at U.S. District Court in Nashville.
“I want all discrimination to stop,” Thompson said. “The way I was fired was not right at all.”
On this Labor Day, Thompson said things are moving much faster than he expected since bringing the allegations of wrongful termination against his former employer.
“[I was] fired for no reason,” Thompson said. “I can’t even draw my unemployment because they won’t issue my termination letter.”
School Board defamation lawsuit goes to trial
STEVENS POINT – A judge has set a trial date for a lawsuit filed by two Stevens Point School Board members who accuse a newspaper of defamation.
School Board members Lisa Totten and Kim Shirek filed a lawsuit against Brandi Makuski, editor of a weekly newspaper called the Stevens Point City-Times, and its parent company, Multi Media Channels of Green Bay, claiming defamation and negligence in the newspaper’s reporting.
A summons with the lawsuit identifies 10 articles published by the City-Times between Jan. 9 and Feb. 12 this year that contained “false information or repeated false accusations and allegations.”
Wood County Judge Todd Wolf, who took the case so a Portage County judge could avoid a conflict of interest, scheduled a trial in front of a 12-person jury beginning Feb. 23.
Totten and Shirek are represented by two attorneys from Milwaukee-based law firm Fox, O’Neill and Shannon. One of the attorneys, Jacob Manian, said the suit aims to clear his clients’ names after a series of politically motivated articles by the City-Times to try to remove Totten and Shirek from the School Board.
“What we’re simply trying to do is get to the truth here,” Manian said.
Through their attorneys, Totten and Shirek requested on Feb. 18 a retraction of the statements and implications in a Feb. 6 article called “Support, Opposition and Ridicule: The School Board Recall Attempt Has Already Seen It All,” according to the summons.
“Neither Ms. Shirek nor Ms. Totten has engaged in any harassment or intimidation of anyone,” the summons states. “Neither has any knowledge of such harassment or intimidation.”
School Board defamation – School Board defamation – School Board defamation – School Board defamation
The model Janice Dickinson has sued Bill Cosby for defamation over denials made by the comedian’s representatives after she accused him of raping her in 1982.
Dickinson’s lawsuit seeks unspecified damages on defamation, false light and intentional infliction of emotional distress claims. The suit states Janice Dickinson has been further victimized and her reputation has suffered because of pointed denials by Cosby’s attorney that the comedian drugged and raped her in a Lake Tahoe, California, hotel room more than 30 years ago.
The allegations were made in an interview with Entertainment Tonight after numerous other women accused Cosby of drugging them and inappropriate sexual conduct dating back several decades.
The lawsuit states Janice Dickinson, 60, sought a retraction of the denials from Cosby but the request was denied.
An email sent to Cosby’s attorney Martin Singer was not immediately returned. Singer called Dickinson’s rape allegations “false and outlandish” in a letter to the Associated Press last year.
According to the Guardian UK, the lawsuit details Dickinson’s allegations that Cosby raped her after giving her wine and a pill in the hotel room, and how she wanted to go public with her story in a 2002 autobiography but was prevented from doing so by the book’s publisher.
Janice Dickinson did not report the alleged rape to police in the early 1980s out of fear of retaliation by Cosby, her lawsuit states. The statute of limitations to criminally prosecute the actor-comedian has long since passed, as has the statute on civil claims directly related to the matter.
“This is Janice Dickinson’s chance for justice,” her attorney Lisa Bloom said on Wednesday.
Three women who have accused Cosby of abuse have sued him for defamation in a Massachusetts federal court.
One of the women, Therese Serignese, said after a court hearing this month that she wanted her reputation restored after Cosby’s camp branded her a liar. Dickinson’s lawsuit is seeking a similar outcome.
“Cosby knows that he drugged and raped Ms Dickinson,” the lawsuit states. “He knew that calling her rape disclosure a lie was a false statement.”
It may be impossible for Angolan journalist Rafael Marques de Morais to get a fair trial in his home country.
Rafael Marques has been charged with criminal defamation by several Angolan military generals as a result of his 2011 book, “Blood Diamonds: Corruption andTorture in Angola” in which he wrote that the generals had orchestrated torture and killings in Angola’s diamond-mining region.
In many countries, the generals would be the ones on trial, not the journalist who exposed the alleged crimes. But this is Angola, a country with a state-run news media, an iron-fisted president and next to no tolerance for opposition.
The trial, which had been postponed several times, began on May 14 in the Angolan capital of Luanda. The judge has allowed a line of questioning to Marques that makes no sense whatsoever. Rafael Marques told me via Skype that he has been asked whether he ever saw any generals commit any shootings or torture.
The problem with these questions is that Marques’ book does not accuse the generals of such behavior. He says that the generals are the owners of private security companies that protected the diamond mines, and that employees of these companies killed and tortured villagers. As Human Rights Watch pointed out a few days ago, Marques’ book describes “500 cases of torture and 100 killings by private security guards and Angolan soldiers in the districts of Cuango and Xa-Muteba.”
“In the court, the prosecution is doing everything it can to avoid addressing murder and torture, but to try to question me to see if I saw the generals or the managers of the companies [doing the] shooting,” Rafael Marques told me. He said his lawyer has stated that the questions are addressing something that Marques never claimed, but his lawyer has been ignored.
“This is just a political prosecution,” Marques continued. “I am fully aware of what the judge is up to, and what the sentence will be.” The prosecution is aiming to put Rafael Marques in jail for 9 years. (Neither the prosecutor nor a spokesperson for the prosecutor could be reached for comment.)
An out-of-court settlement went nowhere because Marques refused to apologize for what he had written. “I do not agree to compromise my principles,” he said.
Rafael Marques is a longtime Angolan reporter who worked with me at Forbes to publish an article in September 2013 about the billions of dollars in assets amassed by Isabel dos Santos, the eldest daughter of the Angolan president, thanks in large part to kleptocratic transfers initiated by her father. A spokesman for Isabel dos Santos said in 2013 that allegations of improper transfers are “groundless and completely absurd.” The article won a Gerald Loeb Award in June 2014 for international reporting.
Marques also won a Freedom of Expression award in March 2015 from the Index on Censorship, a U.K.-based international organization that promotes and defends the right to freedom of expression.
Regarding the charges and the trial, Rafael Marques has received support from several prominent human rights groups and even a high ranking U.S. government official.
A Filipino school in Doha has filed a defamation case against four parents, local Arabic daily Arrayah reported yesterday.
According to the case being heard by a Doha Misdemeanour Court, the Filipino school has accused the parents of defaming it through social media, after they demanded a reduction in the school fees, which they thought was “unjustifiably hiked.”
Gulf Times is reporting that though the parents complained to the Filipino school management, the fee increase was eventually enforced. So, the parents posted their comments on social media, which the school considered as bad for its reputation.
As a punitive measure against the parents, their children were denied early registration at the school and were not admitted for the new school year on the pretext that all seats were filled. Ultimately, the parents took the issue to the Supreme Education Council, which told them that it cannot interfere because it has no jurisdiction over the school.
Thereafter, the parents approached the Philippine embassy, which ensured that the school admitted the children, but the school filed a case against the parents accusing them of undermining its good reputation.