Surrey mom believes racism behind accusation of sneaking into shared swimming pool
A Surrey mother believes racism was behind a recent demand that her family prove they were allowed to use the pool in their own townhouse complex.
Guerda Henry went for a swim Thursday afternoon with her two daughters, ages 1 and 13, at the pool shared by three developments at Brooklands, where she bought a home two years ago.
Henry, a health care worker who moved to Surrey from the Bahamas in 2013, said the three of them, along with a few close family friends, used her key fob to enter the Panorama Clubhouse. But before they could set down their towels, a caretaker approached them warning them of “concerns” from residents who believed they should not be there. The caretaker apologized, but pressed for an explanation as to how they entered the pool area.
Henry said she then held up her fob and explained she was an owner.
The caretaker said she’d been sent over by a man who was certain Henry and her family were from a different complex, and was being extra cautious after reports of people jumping the fence at night and engaging in “explicit behaviour,” Henry said.
Henry asked why her family had been immediately targeted, when staff have access to fob data linked to her unit.
It was an act of racism, Henry believes, and there’s “no bone” in her body that tells her otherwise, she said. Henry, who is black, said she has experienced racism in the past.
“But in my own home? It’s different,” she said. “This guy in my video, he lives, like, four or five houses down from me.”
The man later introduced himself as a member of the strata council and clubhouse committee.
Henry said that after she brought her baby home to change into dry clothes, the man returned and continued to question her teenage daughter, even after the caretaker had confirmed the fob was linked to their unit.
“At that point, I was livid,” she said. “He’s standing there like a big, tough werewolf with his arms folded.”
Henry said she asked the caretaker whether anyone else had been questioned and the answer was no. She added that people who knew her didn’t rise to her defence.
“I was angry. I felt embarrassed, I felt harassed, I felt ambushed,” she said. “Two years of going there.”
Henry said the man told her he was new but also knew everyone in the community and didn’t recognize them. She immediately contacted her strata council but also posted video of part of the interaction to Facebook.
Henry said she was reluctant to come forward with her story, but wanted to speak out so it doesn’t happen again.
“People are shocked to see that this type of behaviour is actually portrayed in Canada,” she said.
“It’s definitely an eye opener. I don’t want to say that it hasn’t happened before. I just think people are scared to come out because Canada is such a great place.”
She chalked up the racism to “a few apples in the bunch” but said her experience should be used as a teachable moment.
In a statement to Global News, which reported the story, the Brooklands strata council said it is investigating the incident.
“This should not have occurred in this manner,” the council said. “Steps are currently being taken to remove that committee member from the clubhouse committee, based on their actions in overstepping their boundary.”
Marilyn Manson accused of harassment and racism
Former House actress Charlyne Yi has accused Marilyn Manson of harassing women and making racist remarks to her during a visit to the set of the show. Yi made the remarks on a now-deleted Twitter, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
“Ugh, don’t even get me started on Marilyn Manson,” Yi reportedly wrote on account. “Yes this happened a long time ago — on the last season of House he came on set to visit because he was a huge fan of the show and he harassed just about every woman asking us if we were going to scissor, rhino & called me a China man.”
The final season of House aired in 2012. In a second tweet, Yi reportedly expressed concern at publishing her experiences and subsequently being “tied” to the harasser. “It’s so triggering to see people come up on the internet who have harassed you. And then when you talk about the incidents you become known as the person tied to the harasser,” she wrote. “And that’s just your name from now on. It almost overrides who you are.”
In October 2017 Yi accused comedian David Cross of being racist towards her, a claim Cross denied. Manson, meanwhile, was forced to fire bass player Twiggy Ramirez after he was accused of raping ex-girlfriend Jessicka Adams.
The FADER has contacted reps for both Yi and Manson.
Nationalist leader accuses Deputy PM of slander for “racism” remark
Thierry Baudet, leader of nationalist party FvD, pressed charges of defamation and slander against Deputy Prime Minister Kasja Ollongren after she accused him of involving race in the political debate last week.
During a press conference, Baudet denied all allegations of racism, NU.nl reports. “Racism is judging people on their appearance and origin and we do not do that in any way”, he said. “We stand for an open, tolerant, democratic Netherlands where individual qualities are decisive and not race, social class, skin color, sex or sexual orientation.” According to the FvD leader, Ollongren is “demonizing a people’s representative” with her “slanderous statements”.
Ollongren made the statements in question during a lecture in Nijmegen on Friday. She said that populism threatens the “core values of democracy” and that the FvD goes further in this than the PVV ever did. “The new split off from populism goes further where [PVV leader Geert] Wilders stops. Baudet’s party seems to be obsessed with one of the few taboos that I as a progressive liberal attach value to: talking about races in the political debate”, Ollongren, Minister of Home Affairs and Kingdom Relations, said, according to the newspaper.
She denounced Baudet for not distancing himself from a statement made by Fvd member Yernaz Ramautarsing last week. Yernaz Ramautarsing said that Dutch with dark skin color are less intelligent than other races. This statement resulted in the D66, GroenLinks and PvdA saying they will not work with the FvD after the elections. “So he leaves it unchallenged when his fellow party members openly discriminate on the basis of race.” Ollongren said in the lecture.
“Thierry Baudet is of course free to file a declaration”, Ollongren responded to the charges against her via a spokesperson, NU.nl reports. “But it would be more logical for him to start a political debate, which I am open to.” The Minister wants to emphasize the importance of Article 1 of the Dutch Constitution, which prohibits discrimination on any grounds, the spokesperson said.
Roy Moore asks for a change of venue in accuser’s defamation lawsuit
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Former U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore filed a motion Friday night seeking a venue change in a defamation lawsuit filed against him.
The lawsuit was filed by Leigh Corfman in the Montgomery Circuit Court. Moore wants the case to be moved to Etowah County. Attorneys for Moore say that’s a logical request, considering both Moore and Corfman live in Etowah County.
Corfman previously told the Washington Post that Moore sexually abused her when she was a 14-year-old girl and he was a 32-year-old assistant district attorney. Moore has denied all accusations of sexual misconduct several times.
Corfman’s suit asks the court to force Moore to “retract all defamatory statements made against Ms. Corfman, to publicly apologize for these defamatory statements, and to refrain from making further defamatory statements.” It also asks that the court forces Moore to pay the legal costs of the suit and “provide further relief as permitted by law and as the Court deems appropriate.”
The attorney’s representing Moore did not address the civil complaint lodged against the former Senate candidate. “The drama should properly play out where the underlying events at issue are alleged to have occurred – Etowah County – and not where the campaign had an office, now vacated, and a post office box,” Moore’s attorneys wrote.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Former U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore filed a motion Friday night seeking a venue change in a defamation lawsuit filed against him.The lawsuit was filed by Leigh Corfman in the Montgomery Circuit Court. Moore wants the case to be moved to Etowah County. Attorneys for Moore say that’s a logical request, considering both Moore and Corfman live in Etowah County.Corfman previously told the Washington Post that Moore sexually abused her when she was a 14-year-old girl and he was a 32-year-old assistant district attorney.
Peter Beardsley: Racism & bullying accusations against Newcastle U23s coach
The 56-year-old former Magpies player, who has been in his current role since 2009, faces multiple complaints.
He attended a hearing with managing director Lee Charnley and head of safeguarding Steve Swinyard.
One of the complaints of bullying has been made by 22-year-old academy midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.
Beardsley made more than 300 appearances for his hometown club during a career that also included spells at Liverpool and Everton.
He was offered a coaching role on Tyneside following his retirement, but in 2003 he and academy director Kenny Wharton faced a Premier League inquiry over allegations of bullying made by youth players James Beaumont and Ross Gardner. The case was dismissed.
He returned in an ambassadorial role following Mike Ashley’s takeover at St James’ Park before being appointed as an academy coach again.
Beardsley had been scheduled to take charge of the under-23s for their fixture against Middlesbrough on Monday but the match was postponed because of a frozen pitch.
The 56-year-old former Magpies player, who has been in his current role since 2009, faces multiple complaints.He attended a hearing with managing director Lee Charnley and head of safeguarding Steve Swinyard.One of the complaints of bullying has been made by 22-year-old academy midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.Beardsley made more than 300 appearances for his hometown club during a career that also included spells at Liverpool and Everton.He was offered a coaching role on Tyneside following his retirement, but in 2003 he and academy director Kenny Wharton faced a Premier League inquiry over allegations of bullying made by youth players James Beaumont and Ross Gardner. The case was dismissed.He returned in an ambassadorial role following Mike Ashley’s takeover at St James’ Park before being appointed as an academy coach again.Beardsley had been scheduled to take charge of the under-23s for their fixture against Middlesbrough on Monday but the match was postponed because of a frozen pitch.
Gaslamp Killer Files $5 Million Defamation Lawsuit Over Rape Accusation
William Bensussen, the electronic music producer and longtime Low End Theory resident known as The Gaslamp Killer, has filed a $5 million defamation lawsuit against two women who accused him last month on social media of drugging and raping them in 2013. The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Nov. 13, names the two women, Chelsea Tadros and RaeAn Medina, along with Tadros’ boyfriend, Jack Wagner.
The 26-page suit, a copy of which was obtained by L.A. Weekly, seeks damages on seven counts, including defamation by libel, false light, interference with contractual relations and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
“These false and despicable allegations have sabotaged Mr. Bensussen’s career, upended his personal life, and led to the cancellation of his shows,” Bensussen’s attorney, Parag Amin, said via a written statement. “Mr. Bensussen is seeking to restore his good name the right way — through a court of law, where people must testify under oath and there is accountability for false statements.”
Tadros, Medina and Wagner did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Through a representative, Bensussen also declined to comment, instead referring to a press release that included statements from his attorney, Amin.
“False stories like the ones perpetrated by these two women further victimize real victims of assault,” Amin said.Bensussen was first accused of rape on Oct. 12, by a woman then identified only as Chelsea, who posted a screenshot on Twitter of a lengthy statement in which she “falsely [claimed] that she and Medina were raped by Bensussen on July 5, 2013 after being drugged at The Standard hotel in Downtown Los Angeles,” as described in the suit, which reprints the original accusation in full. In her statement, Tadros claimed after she and her friend, Medina, returned from the bathroom, Bensussen gave them drinks that had been spiked with some kind of drug.